Classic French Cassoulet
- Brown sausage in a large oven-proof heavy-bottom sauce pot or Dutch oven over medium heat,remove sausage & set aside. Brown chicken pieces in oil from sausages,set chicken aside and pour off all but 1 tsp excess oil.
- Add onion,carrot and leek to pot and sauté until tender,about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and shallot and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add wine to deglaze pot,scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot.
- Return chicken and sausage to pot,add beans,mustard,rosemary,sage, thyme,and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to a 325°F (170°C) oven and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve this dish with a simple vinaigrette salad and some crusty French baguette.
- For a more adventurous dish try substituting game like rabbit or duck for the chicken
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S Stock First ® Chicken stock
Review by L.Jean B.
Used 4 Thighs, 2 hot Italian Sausages each cut in 4 after first cooking, 2 cups dry navy beans soaked overnight, one box Campbell's Stock First, 2 carrots. Should use more meat or less beans, 3 carrots. Could use Chorizo or Toulouse sausages. Used dry herbs: 2.5ml Sage, 5ml Rosemary, 5ml Thyme, Pepper to taste. Check for liquid as it cooks.
L.Jean B. | November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox