Grilled Cheese Eggplant Parm
Campbell’s Tomato soup is iconic with grilled cheese, so we decided to make it with a twist. Italian eggplant, Mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic, bread and Campbell’s Tomato soup is all you need to make our "Eggplant Parmesan".
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees on your bake setting.
- Take a cast iron pan and bring it to medium heat with no oil
- Using room temperature margarine or butter, coat one side of 12 slices of Texas toast, making sure that you butter each slice to the edges.
- Make sure to have a baking tray with a wire rack on top and set it to the side. We will be using this to rest our grilled cheese and eggplants on once cooked, so that they do not sweat.
- Using 2 slices of mozzarella cheese per sandwich, begin building your grilled cheese sandwiches. You can add more cheese if you like or if you don’t like Mozzarella, substitute your favourite!
- Slowly pan sear your sandwiches, two at a time, in your cast iron pan. Be sure to move your sandwiches around the pan as they cook, so that they are an even golden brown on each side.
- Once both sides are golden brown, rest on your wire rack. Don’t worry if your cheese has not melted because we will be baking these later.
- Once you have cooked all 6 sandwiches, use a paper towel to wipe out any excess margarine from your cast iron pan using a paper towel. Then, add a generous amount of olive oil to your pan and allow to heat up.
- Take your eggplant, and cut into 1⁄4” slices, lengthwise. Peel and smash your garlic cloves, then add to your olive oil. In batches, slowly fry your eggplant slices on medium heat until the slices are translucent, but still slightly firm. Flip once, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more oil to the pan as you go, as eggplant is very absorbent. Once fried, set aside on your wire rack, turn off your pan but make sure to save your crispy garlic cloves.
- Take your casserole dish and spread an even layer of Campbell’s Tomato Condensed Soup into the bottom of the dish. Drizzle a small amount of the garlic olive oil over the condensed soup. Then take three grilled cheese sandwiches, cut them to size if you need to, then cover your grilled cheese with some more tomato soup. Add grated parmesan, a pantry staple, on top of the soup, followed by a layer of your fried eggplant and top with grated mozzarella.
- Using a spatula, press carefully into your dish to create space for a second layer. Dollop the tomato soup all over the top of your mozzarella, then sprinkle more parmesan on top of that. Begin your second layer, add your final three grilled cheese sandwiches, trying to press it down as you go. Then layer more tomato soup, fried eggplant, tomato soup again, fresh-cracked pepper, the last bit of roasted garlic oil, grated mozzarella, and finish with grated parmesan.
- Place your casserole dish onto a baking tray so that it catches any cheese or sauce that may bubble over, and place in your preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Condensed Tomato Soup
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox