Steak and Mushroom Sauce
In this episode, we build out a classic combination of flavours; a melange of mushrooms, a little seared beef and cream of mushroom soup, to pull everything together. Good for any day or night of the week; quick, easy and delicious.
- In a small pot, warm up cream of mushroom soup on medium heat. Add half a can of water and stir in slowly. Reduce heat to low once warmed through.
- Season your steak with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using a cast iron pan, warm to medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- When your pan is starting to get a little smoky, add your steak and sear both sides to get a golden crust. Make sure you move your steak around in the pan and let the oils and juices season the meat, and to allow the steak to cook evenly.
- While your steak is searing, cut up one leek stem, quartered and then chopped. Discard the green leaves. Cut up one shallot, quartered and then chopped.
- Slice up your mushrooms, roughly chop to create texture in your dish. If you have oyster mushrooms in your mix, cut in half and cross hatch the cut side.
- When your steak is golden on both sides, remove from the pan and set on a rack to rest.
- Using the same pan, add a little more oil and start sautéing your mushrooms, make sure to get them nicely browned and place your oyster mushrooms cut side down into the pan to sear. Once the mushrooms are close to fully cooked, about 5 mins, then add your leeks and shallots. Start to sweat your vegetables, add a 1⁄4 cup of beef stock to the pan and allow the liquid to reduce.
- Pick the leaves of 2 sprigs of tarragon, some flat leaf parsley and finely chop.
- Take your cream of mushroom soup and pour into the pan, stir into your mushroom mix, then add your herbs. Turn the heat off once all your ingredients are combined. Add a few cracks of pepper to taste.
- Spoon your creamy mushroom sauce onto a large plate. Slice your steak into strips and set on top of your sauce. Season with pepper and finish with some fresh lemon juice. Enjoy!
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
CAMPBELL’S® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox