For some, leftovers are the best part of the Holidays! Here are tips on storing and using them. ”
Make the most of Holiday Leftovers
For some, leftovers are the best part of the Holidays! Here are tips on storing and using them
1) Store leftovers in the refrigerator within two of hours of serving.
2) Slice or dice turkey into smaller pieces so it cools faster, then pack it, the stuffing and the gravy into separate containers. Be careful not to over-stuff containers—smaller amounts will chill more rapidly. And, if you have a large amount of something, divide it among two or three containers or resealable bags so it cools down quickly when refrigerated.
3) Stored properly, turkey and stuffing can last three to four days in the refrigerator. In the freezer, store turkey for four to six months; stuffing for up to three. Be sure to label each container with the contents and date.
4) Turkey sandwiches are the go-to leftover option, but try making turkey salad sandwiches by blending diced turkey with mayonnaise, diced celery, a teaspoon of curry powder, a handful of raisins, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots and cashews.
5) Salads are always a refreshing choice after the Holidays. How about a turkey cobb salad with tomatoes, romaine lettuce, avocado, hard-cooked egg, blue cheese and crisp crumbled bacon?