Beef Bourguignon Shepherd's Pie
Products you'll need:
- 4 cups (1 L) yellow flesh potato, cut into 2 cm cubes (diced)
- 4 strips strips smoked bacon, cut into 1 cm thick pieces
- 500 grams stir-fry beef strips, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 package white or brown mushrooms, quartered (roughly 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) tomato paste
- 1 carton Campbell's® 30% Less Sodium Beef Broth With Red Wine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk or cream, warmed slightly
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt (optional)
- In a medium pot, cover potatoes with water. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While potatoes are boiling, prepare the beef mixture. Heat a large skillet over medium; add bacon and sauté 3-5 minutes, stirring often, or until starting to brown. Add beef; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 3-5 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until no pink remains. Remove meat from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In same skillet, sauté carrot and onion in remaining bacon fat over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes or until starting to brown. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring often.
- Stir through tomato paste; cook 20-30 seconds. Whisk together broth and corn starch in a separate bowl. Add to pan after tomato paste is mixed through and fragrant.
- Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) Prepare mashed potatoes for topping: Mash together cooked and drained potatoes, warmed milk or cream and butter. Season with salt to taste, if desired.
- Transfer beef mixture to oven-safe baking dish. Gently spoon mashed potatoes into several piles over the beef mixture. Use the back of the spoon to spread potatoes into an even layer.
- Place baking dish on foil lined tray to catch any drips. Bake 20-30 minutes in center of oven, or until bubbly and browned. Cool briefly before serving.
Garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley.
Ratings & Reviews
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||5 g|
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox