Hearty Beef Onion Soup
- Cook onions until browning begins,in 1 tbsp (15 mL) heated oil,in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven at medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes,stirring occasionally. Remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Brown beef in remaining oil in same saucepan,at medium-high heat,stirring often. Return onions to saucepan.
- Stir in broth,Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes,stirring occasionally. Ladle into 4 soup bowls and sprinkle with croutons and cheese.
- To make your own croutons,cut a couple of slices of day-old bread into ½” (1 cm) cubes. Toast them to a light golden brown on a baking tray in a 375°F (190°C) oven,turning them occasionally to toast all sides.
- When soup or stew recipes call for browning vegetables or meat before simmering in broth,Dutch ovens are a good choice of cookware. These large,heavy-bottomed pots allow good heat distribution and the tight-fitting lids prevent too much steam from escaping.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Beef Broth
Review by David M.
I added 1/8 cup each: Shredded carrot and celery. Also added 1 tbsp BBQ sauce for a change-up and a pinch of Instant coffee (not enough to over-power, but enough to make one think now there is a different taste.
David M. | September 27, 2012
Review by Dietlind F.
So easy to make and very flavourful. I added 1 or 2 garlic cloves and some bay leaves the first time I made it because my old onion soup recipe called for that and I enjoy those flavours, also.I have made it 3 times now.
Dietlind F. | December 4, 2012
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox