Mushroom Thyme Bites
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter with oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside in a medium bowl.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, brown sugar, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 25 minutes on medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the broth to deglaze the pan, allowing the onions to soak it all in. Add the onions to the mushroom mixture, stirring to combine. Allow to cool to room temperature. Stir the Gruyere cheese to combine.
- Position two racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the puff pastry into 2-inch (5cm) squares and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- In small bowl, whisk together yolk with water. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg mixture over the squares. Place a scant tablespoon of caramelized onion mixture in the center. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Can substitute fresh thyme leaves with 1tsp (5 mL) dried thyme.
- Once the onion and mushroom mixture has cooled, the mixture can be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- After cutting the puff pastry into squares, transfer the tray to the freezer for 10 minutes to keep the puff pastry as cold as possible while you are working. This will achieve the best puff.
- These pastries can be made ahead and frozen in a single layer on a baking tray and then transferred to an airtight container to be baked off fresh whenever you need them. Bake 15-17 minutes from frozen.
- Can substitute with any different type of mushroom!
- Can substitute broth with CAMPBELLS® Mushroom Broth to keep this recipe vegetarian.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
Easy, delicious and impressive
Tried this easy recipe for a Thanksgiving gathering. These little, tasty bites were fabulous. I substituted 30% Less Sodium Chicken Campbell's broth. They were marvellous. So glad it made 50, we had extras for another night. Making original recipe for a little Christmas get-together. Sure they will be just as fabulous. I make ahead and freeze, as suggested and it worked well. Thanks, Campbell's Soups.
Lori A. | November 11, 2017
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox