Quick & Easy French Onion Soup
This simple, flavourful recipe delivers on the delicious flavour of French Onion Soup in a fraction of the time.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, add sugar and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Then add red wine vinegar and deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add broth and bring to simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. While soup is simmering, preheat broiler and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place baguette slices on baking sheet. Top each with roughly 1 to 2 tbsp cheese. Set aside. When soup is ready to serve, broil baguette slices for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Portion soup into 4 serving bowls. Place 2 baguette slices on top of soup in each bowl. Garnish with fresh chopped thyme, if desired.
- For a traditional broiler finish: Preheat broiler to high; place four broiler-safe bowls on a baking sheet. Portion hot soup into bowls; top each with two baguette slices then cover liberally with grated cheese. Broil on top rack of oven for 1-4 minutes, watching closely, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Carefully remove tray from oven and serve. Bowls will be very hot!
- Try using different cheeses for an extra twist! Havarti, smoked gouda, aged cheddar or even a spicy Jalapeno cheese are all great options.
- Adding garlic and red wine vinegar helps to deepen flavour with a shorter cook time; increase or decrease the amount to taste.
- Using sugar helps speed up the caramelizing process of the onions. If you have more time, feel free to omit the sugar and cook onions at a lower temperature for longer time until golden brown.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
This Product Can Be Substituted With
Campbell's® 30% Less Sodium Beef Broth With Red Wine
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox