Quick & Easy French Onion Soup
This simple, flavourful recipe delivers on the delicious flavour of French Onion Soup in a fraction of the time.
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium-high. Add onions; cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, or until golden brown. Add chopped garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add broth and bring to simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until onions are tender.
- While soup is simmering, prepare baguette. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice baguette into eight 2 cm thick rounds; transfer to prepared baking tray. Top each round with roughly 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated cheese. Set aside.
- When soup is ready to serve, bake baguette rounds for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Portion soup into 4 serving bowls. Carefully float 2 baguette rounds in each bowl. Rest 5 minutes before serving for baguette to soften slightly.
- For a traditional broiler finish: Preheat broiler to high; place four broiler-safe bowls on a baking sheet. Portion hot soup into bowls; top each with two baguette slices then cover liberally with grated cheese. Broil on top rack of oven for 1-4 minutes, watching closely, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Carefully remove tray from oven and serve. Bowls will be very hot!
- Try using different cheeses for an extra twist! Havarti, smoked gouda, aged cheddar or even a spicy Jalapeno cheese are all great options.
- Adding garlic helps to deepen flavour with a shorter cook time; increase or decrease the amount to taste.
Recipe Made With
Campbell's® 30% Less Sodium Beef Broth With Red Wine
This Product Can Be Substituted With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox