Roasted Beer Can Cream of Chicken Soup
Products you'll need:
Ingredients for Beer Can Chicken:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed, washed clean and patted dry inside and out
- 1 can beer (ale or lager)
Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) onions, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) celery, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 cans CAMPBELL’S® Condensed Cream of Chicken
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) of water (2 soup cans full)
- 1 chicken
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 Chicken skin, fried crispy
- 1 Finely chopped chives
- Pre-heat oven/BBQ to approximately 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl,combine the cayenne pepper,pepper,brown sugar,garlic powder,melted butter and juice from the freshly squeezed orange. Gently mix together to form a paste.
- Ensure the chicken is dry. Cover the entire bird with the paste.
- If cooking on the BBQ,place the chicken directly onto the beer can,lowering it as much as possible. Cook the chicken,grill cover closed,over indirect heat for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165°F (74°C) in the breast area and 180°F (82°C) in the thigh. Remove from the BBQ,set aside to cool.
- If cooking in the oven,place chicken directly onto the beer can,lowering it as much as possible. Roast to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Remove from the oven,set aside to cool.
- In a large pot,heat canola oil over medium heat. Add the carrots,onion,celery,thyme,and pepper. Return to a simmer,reduce heat to medium-low,and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- When the vegetables are tender,add the cans of CAMPBELL'S® Cream of Chicken soup and water. Mix together,and return to medium heat.
- Add the shredded beer can chicken pieces and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine,and return soup to a low simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a hot deep-edged frying pan,heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken skins for approximately 2 minutes or until crispy. Pat dry with paper towel and break into small pieces for garnish.
- Ladle soup evenly into four bowls,and garnish each with crispy chicken skin and fresh chives.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||4 g|
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox