Roasted Vegetable, Gorgonzola, Pearl Barley Salad
Products you'll need:
CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Beef BrothYou select your ingredients with care. Select your broth the same way.
- Prepared in Canada using only All Natural Flavours
- Seasoned to perfection with a blend of spices for a rich, authentic beef flavor
- 30% less sodium than our regular Ready To Use variety
- Campbell’s® - #1 selling broth in Canada!
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearl barley
- 4 1/2 cups (1.13 L) CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Beef Broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 small beets, quartered
- 2 large fennel bulbs, quartered
- 2 cups (500 mL) fingerling potatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into crayon-sized sticks
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) flat leaf fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 1/2 cups of Campbell’s broth to a boil in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add pearl barley and bay leaf. Cover,reduce heat to low,and simmer for 40-50 minutes until soft but not mushy. Drain excess liquid. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Clean the vegetables,remove nubby ends,and prepare in quarters,halves,and matchsticks as listed. Combine carrots and fennel on one baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. On a second baking sheet,combine beets and potatoes and coat with more olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Roast fennel and carrots for 20 minutes,the potatoes and carrots for 40 minutes or until each sheet of vegetables,respectively,is browning at the edges.
- In a large serving bowl,combine cooked pearl barely,shallots,olive oil,and salt and pepper. Add roasted vegetables and lightly toss. Sprinkle with parsley and gorgonzola. Toss again briefly. Serve warm.
- Notes: Pairs well with grilled chicken
- Several hearty or root vegetables stand up well in this recipe. Consider roasted brussels sprouts as an addition as summer turns to fall. For a lighter dish,omit potatoes.
- Grain Substitution: Kamut,Spelt,or Farro can all be swapped easily.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||9 g|
- Three servings of vegetables
- Good source of calcium
- Excellent Source of fiber
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox