Cheesy Tex Mex Chipotle Meatball Casserole
A saucy, meatball and rice casserole smothered in Tex Mex cheese for a flavourful and yummy weeknight lunch. This easy, hearty dish is reminiscent of a naked burrito bowl, casserole style! It will have everyone cheering for more!
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using a medium size pot, combine rice, water, and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning, cover, and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 12 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed. Turn off heat and let rest. You may opt to use a slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining taco seasoning with the ground beef, roll into meatballs about 1.5 inches wide. Preheat a large, non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat, add ½ tablespoon oil and meatballs, sear all over, for about 6 minutes. Set aside on a plate and remove any excess fat from pan.
- Add remaining ½ tablespoon oil to the pan over medium heat, sauté the onions and peppers for 3 minutes then add in the CAMPBELL'S® Savoury Beef & Onion Rich & Thick Stock and chipotle peppers, stir well. Add meatballs and any accumulated juices back into the pan, stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Fluff rice with a fork and pour into a 3-quart casserole dish, add corn, and black beans and mix well. Pour the meatballs and sauce over the rice. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then broil on high until cheese is golden and bubbly about 3 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and serve.
- Try this dish with chopped iceberg lettuce, sour cream and a side of guacamole, a naked burrito bowl with meatballs!
- Want to skip the red meat? Swap out the ground beef to make chicken and turkey meatballs for a leaner option.
- You can add some enchilada sauce to enhance the Mexican feel of the dish. Corn tortillas can also be used to add some crunch to the dish. Add tomatoes to taste.
- Lastly, cheddar cheese can be added to make this wonderful dish more cheesy!
Did you make this?
By submitting, I agree to the terms and conditions.
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox
Stay inspired with easy and delicious
meal ideas wherever you are