French Onion Soup Puffs
Adding beef broth to caramelized onions provides serious depth of flavour to these simple elegant appetizers. Make ahead for easy entertaining.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, salt, pepper, mustard and thyme and cook until onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in broth and cook until almost all the broth is reduced and onions are soft and dark caramel in colour,about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Cut each piece of pastry into 25 (2-inch/5 cm) squares. Press pieces of pastry into tart shells or mini muffin pan. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Top with about 2 tsp (10 mL) of the onion mixture and a sprinkle of Gruyere.
- Bake in the center of a 425°F (220°C) oven on a baking sheet until pastry is golden brown and puffed and cheese is bubbling, about 8 10 minutes. Top with chives or thyme just before serving warm.
- Make Ahead: These pastries can be assembled and then frozen in the tart/ muffin pans for 1 hour. Once frozen,transfer to a freezer container with a lid for up to 3 months. Return to tart/muffins trays to bake from frozen,adding about 2 minutes to the cooking time.
- Per serving (2 pastries): 250 Calories,16g Fat,180 mg Sodium,22g Carbohydrate,1g Dietary Fibre,4g Protein,2% Daily Value Calcium
- Bake your pastry puffs with parchment paper to reduce clean up time!
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox