Japanese Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes
Bring home the flavours of east-Asia with this Japanese style stew. A warm, flavourful, and hearty dish filled with bright notes of orange and lemongrass. This dish will definitely be the cherry on top on any weekend or weekday dinner.
- In large 3 qt. heavy pot, heat oil on medium-high. Sear meat in batches until browned on all sides, set aside in a bowl to capture any juices.
- Deglaze the pan with the rice wine vinegar and orange juice, scraping up any browned bits, add the CAMPBELL'S® Rich & Thick Stock, dark soy sauce, mirin, and pepper, stir well to combine.
- Gently pound or bend lemongrass several times to help release the flavour then add to the pot along with the carrots, sweet potato, and seared beef with any accumulated juices, stir and bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat to medium-low, continue cooking for 25 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, blanch snow peas for 2-3 minutes or until bright green. Scoop out with strainer and set aside. Bring water back to a boil and cook Udon noodles according to package directions.
- When ready to serve, add snow peas to the stew and warm for 2 minutes. Serve over noodles and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Short on time? This recipe can be done in a pressure cooker, sear beef in batches, then add all ingredients (except snow peas and noodles) to the pressure cooker, set on high for 15 minutes.
- Using vegetables like sprouts, green beans, and cabbages and other ingredients such as shiitake mushroom with the snow peas in order to make this dish more special.
- This potato stew would also benefit from having the meat go under a slow cooker instead of being seared.
- Seasoning with dashi would make the dish have more umami - add to taste.
Recipe Made With
Campbell’s® Ginger, Garlic & Soy Rich & Thick Stock (500 mL)
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox