Red Pepper and Red Lentil Soup
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan,heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and peppers,stirring often,for 10 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in garlic,thyme,cumin,coriander,salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth,lentils and diced tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are very tender; let cool for 10 minutes.
- Purée soup,in batches,using a blender or immersion blender until very smooth. Return to saucepan; cook over medium heat until heated through. Stir in vinegar. Sprinkle with chives; garnish with swirl of cream and black pepper before serving.
- For added flavour,roast the peppers under the broiler until the skin is charred and peppers are tender. Peel carefully and remove seeds. Add chopped roasted peppers with lentils. Charred peppers will add a hint of smokiness to the soup.
- Add a pinch of hot pepper flakes with the other spices for a touch of heat.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream after puréeing for a cream soup.
- Serve with toasted baguette that’s been topped with cheese and broiled until melted if desired.
- Red lentils are a good choice for this soup as they break down when fully cooked,adding body and thickening the soup. Green and brown lentils cannot be used interchangeably in this soup.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Vegetable Broth
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox