Root Vegetable Gratin
Products you'll need:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided, plus a little extra to grease baking dish
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Gruyere, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 carton (900 mL) CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Chicken Broth
- 1 lb (454 g) each, celery root, golden beets, carrots, Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced 1/16" (1.5mm)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° (190°C) Butter a 9-x13-inch (3 L) baking dish.
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 57 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with ½ cup of the Gruyere and 2 tsp (10 mL) of the thyme leaves; season with a pinch of the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring cream, broth, remaining thyme, and remaining butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat; season with remaining salt and pepper. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit 10 minutes. Cover; keep warm.
- Toss vegetables in a large bowl. Arrange ⅓ of vegetables in dish and top with ½ cup (125 mL) of the Gruyere. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Pour cream mixture over; place a piece of parchment paper directly on top of gratin.
- Bake until vegetables are tender and cream is thickened, 60 minutes. Uncover, top with breadcrumb mixture, and bake until gratin is bubbling and breadcrumbs are brown, 30 minutes longer. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Ratings & Reviews
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||3 g|
- Two servings of vegetables
- Good source of calcium
- Source of protein
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox