Saucy French Chicken
Decadent in the true sense of French cooking! This recipe will impress your friends and family and have them raving for more whether you make it for lunch or dinner. This Saucy French Chicken recipe has ample sauce to enjoy with your favourite side, mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In an oven-safe sauté pan, over medium heat, cook diced bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a plate and discard all but a little of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Season chicken with salt and ground black pepper on both sides. Using the same pan over medium heat add the butter and oil (vegetable or olive, depending on your preference), then add the chicken thighs, with the skin side down and cook until deep golden, about 4 minutes. Flip over, repeat, browning the other side then set aside on a plate. Remove all but a tablespoon of oil from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until they have cooked off their moisture and are starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, stir until softened, about 2 minutes more. Then add the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits and allow to cook for about 1 minute, and finally add the Campbells® Rich & Thick Stock, stir well to combine.
- Return chicken to the pan and place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Remove chicken thighs to a plate.
- Place pan on stove-top over medium-high heat. Add the creme fraiche, dijon mustard and tarragon, stirring well until sauce is hot, 2-3 minutes. Return chicken to pan, cook a few minutes more. Serve with your favourite side dish.
- Serve with a nutrient rich leafy green like Swiss chard or spinach to complete this meal.
- To elevate this dish, try swapping out the bacon for chunky diced pancetta, and the onions for delicate, slightly sweeter shallots instead.
- Use a crisp white wine low in sugar for cooking, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or a dry Chardonnay work best.
- If you prefer white meat, chicken thighs can be substituted for chicken breast.
- Tarragon might not be for everyone so you can replace it with thyme, rosemary or other dried herbs like oregano that might be easier to find in your kitchen.
Recipe Made With
Campbell’s® Herbed Chicken & Spices Rich & Thick Stock (500 mL)
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox