Shaved Fennel, Orange, Candied Pecans and Toasted Millet
Products you'll need:
- 1 cup (250 mL) millet
- 2 cups (500 mL) CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Chicken Broth
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 dash of salt
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, shaved (2 ½ cups)
- 1 small red onion, halved shaved thin
- 3 small oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15 mint leaves
- 10 leaves flat leaf fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecans, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss pecans with maple syrup in small bowl. Add sugar,salt,and cayenne; toss to coat. Spread coated nuts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- While the oven is still hot, spread 1 cup of millet on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Bring 2 cups of Campbell’s broth to a boil in a medium pot. Add toasted millet; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Rinse in a fine colander and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and a dash of salt in a large bowl. Add cooled millet. Shave fennel and onion directly into the bowl with a mandoline, or slice thin on a cutting board and add to the dressing and millet. Add orange slices, mint, and parsley leaves. Toss lightly to combine. Garnish with additional herbs and candied pecans.
- Pairs well with grilled fish
- The oranges can be peeled,and sliced perpendicular to the navel in 1 mm increments or segmented as follows: trim the top and bottom of the orange. Place orange on flat end and remove the rest of the peel and pith,preserving fruit cutting “down and out” as you mimic the natural curve of the orange. Slice to the right and left of each membrane to free each individual wedge.
- A mandolin is a key tool in achieving the thinly shaved fennel and onion,if you do not have access to a mandoline (hand slicer),trim the base of the fennel and cut the bulb into quarters,holding a fennel quarter in one hand,run a vegetable peeler lengthwise into thin strips.
- Grain Substitution: Salad can be easily replicated with a delicate grain like quinoa or pasta like pearl couscous or orzo.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||6 g|
- Source of calcium
- Good Source of fiber
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox