Simmered Chicken Dinner
- Heat broth,apple juice,bay leaf,garlic and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika to a boil in large skillet,stirring occasionally. Add chicken; cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Turn chicken over.
- Add rice around chicken. Top with vegetables. Return to boil; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer,covered,until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender – about 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle with remaining paprika,chopped fresh parsley or green onions,if desired.
- To change things up,try one of the following recipe twists:
- Curried Chicken Dinner: Prepare as above,omitting paprika. Add 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) curry powder to broth mixture and 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins with vegetables. Garnish with freshly diced apples,if desired.
- Cranberry Chicken Dinner: Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries and 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning to broth mixture. Replace plain rice with long grain and wild rice blend. For vegetables,use 1 cup (250 mL) each,sliced celery and chopped onion.
Recipe Made With
CAMPBELL’S® 30% Less Sodium Ready to Use Chicken Broth
Lost and Found
I had this recipe in french Years ago and it was one of my favourites. The little booklet that it came in, I've lost with so many house moves. Fortunately, I found it again here with different title. But same one, same ingredients with two small differences. I used to prepare all and cook in the oven. While this one is stove top. doesn't matter, i'm sure is the same and can be modified to be cooked in the oven instead. The Rice wasn't instant but normal long grain rice. Love it and yes, i'll make this again. Thanks Campbells for keeping this recipe.
Nora C. | December 19, 2018
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox