Vegetable Barley Soup
Our Vegetable Barley Soup recipe makes a homey starter to go with weekend dinner. With a variety of vegetables, herbs and a pesto finish, you'll have flavour and freshness in a bowl!
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onions, carrots and celery just until tender. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Stir in broth, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, barley, tomatoes, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until barley and potatoes are tender, about 15 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and green beans and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve in bowls with a spoonful of pesto, a drizzle of olive oil and grated Parmesan.
- For extra convenience, omit the potatoes, green beans and zucchini and replace them with frozen mixed vegetables.
- Replace bay leaves, thyme and parsley with a simple bouquet garni. Arrange 2 sprigs each of flat leaf parlsey, thyme and rosemary with one fresh or dried bay leaf in cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine. Remove the pouch before serving.
Did you make this?
By submitting, I agree to the terms and conditions.
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox
Stay inspired with easy and delicious
meal ideas wherever you are