French Onion Soup
Products you'll need:
CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef BrothYou select your ingredients with care. Select your broth the same way.
•Prepared in Canada using only All Natural Flavours
•Seasoned to perfection with a blend of spices for a rich, authentic beef flavor
•Campbell’s® - #1 selling broth in Canada!
VIEW FULL PRODUCT INFORMATION (opens a new window) Buy Now
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 each large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 carton (900 mL) CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Beef Broth
- 1/2 tsp (3 mL) black pepper
- 1 French baguette, 1/2 bread slices, toasted
- 1/2 lb (227 g) Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the sliced onions and bay leaves and sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the thyme and flour and continue to sauté for 3 minutes. Add the red wine and balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 more minutes or until the wine evaporates.
- Add the beef broth and black pepper and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Portion the soup into 6 oven proof bowl. Place two slices of the toasted baguette slices on top, cover with Gruyere cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese bubbles and turns golden brown.
- Caramelized onions are the best option for this soup recipe.
- When serving, feel free to also prepare a side like garlic bread or cheesy toast.
Ratings & Reviews
Thank you for your review!
Please note that your review might take up to 72 hours to appear following submission.
We will let you know when it’s posted by sending you an email.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Dietary Fibre||2 g|
- Source of calcium
Sign up for Meal-Mail® to get inspiring recipe
ideas delivered straight to your inbox